[LUG] Nano/pico save without exiting

Hello, list. So i have just spun-up a digitalocean server and am playing around with Drupal. I am having to edit css and php files allot in nano, and I could really really do with a way to write changes in a file from nano without exiting back to the command prompt. Ctrl x and o offer to write the file out, but after choosing y for yes, I am always thrown out of nano.

This is annoying. Is this expected behaviour?

Obviously I have googled. That is how I found out about the o option. Is it my setup? I have tried in Arch and KXStudio, so I am assuming not.
Is there really no way to push changes in nano without exiting? Losing your place in a huge file which might need further editing is super annoying.

Anyone tried digitalocean? I am really impressed. With the promocode snapocean, you can get two free months. They have one click installs of many Linux, bsd, Drupal, docker, and just loads. You can copy your ssh public key in on setup. Though by the way, at least with their debian install, you still need to disable root login and password login (or you're given the option to enter user password after three failed key/key-password attempts).