Re: [LUG] Samba

On 04/04/15 15:55, aaron moore wrote:
> Hi all
> It has been a long time since i posted here and only seem to do so when
> I'm up th creek....sorry.
> Anyway I recently changed my distro from Ubuntu to Debian because the
> people who develop software for my cnc machine have taken a fancy to
> debian. In Ubuntu I had a nice little LAN set up between home and
> workshop.  Now I cannnot for the life of me get Samba to work there are
> no easy GUIs. I want nothing fancy, just to share files between linux
> boxes no passwords, no security.  if I was to post my samba config file
> could some body please tell me where I am going wrong?
> Thanx
> Aaron

Feel free to post your confs here. Have you checked that it's not simply
iptables blocking your connections? If you're on Debian then temporarily
nuke your firewall with:

sudo iptables -F

As it sounds like you only want to throw files back and forth between
two linux machines on the same subnet, there are many many easier ways
of doing this - even Dropbox would do, especially if you leave it's LAN
sync function enabled. Or try nitroshare, which has just had a new
release and is about as easy as it could possibly get:

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/03/nitroshare-030-easily-send-files-to.html

Then there's btsync, google drive, one drive, etc, etc. Much easier and
more secure would be SSHFS, or even just scp files back and forth - this
is a nice option because if you're not too skilled with Linux and
networking stuff in general, the SSH port 22 is going to be open on any
sane distro so you won't even have to muck about with configuring your
firewall. NFS is the easiest of all though - put this in /etc/exports on
the machine that will be sharing all the files:

/home/aaron/stuff 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

And restart NFS:

sudo service nfs-kernel-server restart

Obviously the folder /home/aaron/stuff can be any suitable path, but has
to exist and I'm presuming your network is the typical 192.168.0.0/24
setup, if it isn't, adjust accordingly.

There are millions of ways to casually fling a few files back and forth
between a couple of PCs but I wouldn't bother with configuring Samba
unless one of them is a Windows machine.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers