Re: [LUG] Separate keyboard for a laptop

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:03:55 +0000 (GMT)
"johnxmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <johnxmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Barnaby.I have been in a similar situation.I bought an extra
> keyboard and a mouse and attached them via a USB ports.First Point.
> Using "Settings" to shut down the touch pad does not work, I can set
> it  to "off" as much as I like but after a few days it comes back
> again. Very Frustrating. Second  Point  I rapidly ran out of USB
> ports, I  am reluctant to use wireless keyboard or mouse and since
> the laptop only  has three USB sockets then the need to attach
> keyboard, mouse,  printer and external hard disc creates a
> problem.This problem is not solved using a powered USB hub since the
> not all the devices work consistently using a hub, sometimes they
> work sometimes not. I will be interested to read other solutions.
> John Marshall

I also use settings to turn off the touch pad. My wife and daughter
also each have a laptop running Xubuntu. I look after them all. They
both also have the touch pad switched off via settings. We have none of
us had any problem with the pad turning itself back on. (And no, the
laptops are not all the same make.)

On my laptop I have four USB ports, but I take your point about running
out of slots. This is why I am looking at a Logitech keyboard since my
wifi mouse is also Logitech. I am hoping that the one receiver which
serves the mouse will also work with the keyboard.

Neil