Re: [LUG] Zen outage in D&C

On 2015-02-27 21:50, Daniel Robinson wrote:
Well, do you know what the problem was... Think belkin routers...
Think firmware... Ahh PPPoE at last :)

Yes, that was my issue all along. Had to dig out an old adsl2 router,
dust it off and had hoped to plug n play.

Found out that the issue was Belkin routers refuse to connect properly
with an unknown bug. A router firmware upgrade fixed that!

Seems to be working fine and a quick speed test returns 6.3Mbs up
2.6Mbs down.

Sorry for bothering you all with this issue but I got there in the
end.

Cheers folks

Good to hear you got it working. I've had issues with Belkin routers recently, one decided to have a lay down, then reset itself and dish out DHCP addresses to all and sundry. I know, it's Belkin, I should have known better. Suffice to say it's been relegated to the pile of "bits I will only use if nothing else is available, and even then it'll be only for a small test network".

Out of interest, I gather you're switching to FTTC in the future? Did Zen say if they'd supply an FTTC modem or do you have to supply your own? When I had Zen FTTC installed back in August they provided a modem so all I needed was a router, I went for a TP-Link one in the end... not the best available but for 50 quid and OpenWRT it works pretty well now.

Rob