Re: [LUG] Software RAIDs

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Dan Smith wrote:

Continue to use rsync every day to take the backup via cron.
Rsync and cron easy to use never worked with it before??

Yes. You try it "by hand" then put the commands in a file and make that an executable shell script. You can then call it via cron whenever.

There is another trick you can use - you can copy a directory using

  cp -al

that copies using symbolic links, then you do the rsync again and it breaks the links on the files that have changed... the net result is that you get days (and days) of backups - you get a full directory tree every time, so makes restoring easy but you only backup the differences every day.

Hard to explain - but have a look at this:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/dailyBackup

it's csh but I don't care.

Of-course a backup to the same physical server isn't really a true backup - but I do this sort of thing for all my servers as a "get out of jail free" card should something be accidentally deleted - the real backup is similar, but to other physical servers as rsync works well over a network as it does on the same machine.

Gordon