Re: [LUG] Software RAIDs

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015, Dan Smith wrote:

Good evening folks,

I am looking at the possibility of getting a 4TB hard drive to go into my HP MicroServer N54L and am thinking of partitioning it in half so I can use it to mirror 2 x 2TB drives currently in there.

I am wondering if there is anyway this can be done via software such as mdadm without reinstalling the whole OS which is on a 64GB SSD.

Not sure what you want to achieve - I'm thinking you wany to use the 4TB drive simply as a backup?

If so, read on... If not, just hit the delete button.

Don't use mdadm.

Plug the drive in and create one large partition (gpt partition, using whatever tool you like - e.g. gdisk)

Format the partition - ext4.

Create 2 directories on the new drive, one for each of the existing drives.

Use rsync to copy the partitions over.

Continue to use rsync every day to take the backup via cron.

Test the backup every week or 2.

Relax and be happy.

Gordon