Re: [LUG] Wireless extending

www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk

On 27.01.2015 19:24, Simon Waters wrote:

On 2015-01-27 14:29, Jay Bennie wrote:
You could go old school and find some 10base2 kit
In some networking circles it is bad form to use copper between building.

I believe this stems from when networking kits was expensive, and replacing all your kit after a lightening strike was a horrid thought, but I dare say there is some wisdom in it still. Certainly happy to hear from anyone up on the rationale, have a suspicion the book I had that discussed it in detail has been sacrificed in the interests of web security books - probably short sighted that decision.

I don't know if this is applicable to you. I have a holiday cottage near the main house. I use one of these (or something almost identical).

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging-el-ens202.html

From the main router in my office there is cable through the roof to the bedroom closest to the cottage. The wifi extender is strapped to the drain pipe outside and its wire comes through the window frame, where it plugs into the extension from the router. The wifi extender has a browser interface and the broadcast IP range can be set to anything you like, as can network ID and password.

It works fine, despite the cottage walls been 2 foot thick. Though when there is VERY heavy rain the signal is degraded (of course in Devon the chance of this is insignificant!). It's been in place for 2+ years with zero problems.

Incidentally, and possibly of interest, I provide a legacy (industrial archaeology) laptop for guests running this;

http://porteus-kiosk.org/

Basically firefox with a few pre-sets and unchangeable harddrive - safe for them and safe for me.

Simon