Re: [LUG] Wireless extending

You could go old school and find some 10base2 kit - They have a range up to 185m and
the cable is pretty sturdy. Then put an old PC in the loft to act as a bridge for
the wifi/100BaseT/10base2 networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10BASE2

Another alternative would be a direct serial link over fiber or use an RS-232 driver
to get to 2km
 .... http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/serial-distance.html