Re: [LUG] Media Server

My Inbox is overflowing (again), so I missed this emailâ

>I'm just looking at building a media server. I'm looking at FreeNAS and also Plex. Any thoughts on which way to go please?

Just thought Iâd chirp in hereâ

I use FreeNAS at work and itâs great as a NASâ just a NASâ whether itâs NFS, SaMBa, iSCSI, whateverâ itâs fine.

If you want to use something for âmediaâ, then Iâd recommend just about anything else really J

Personally, Iâm trying out Open Media Vault (http://www.openmediavault.org/), which is developed by one of the original FreeNAS developers

Iâm currently running an âoldâ version (0.5) â the latest is 1.9 which is supposedly a bit more responsive.

I have installed it on an old PC (same as I do with FreeNAS), but you can install OMV on a RasPI too - if you wanted toâ Iâm not sure how fast the disk IO would be on thatâ and thereâs still no real RAID support on a Pi ;)

You can install it on a ânormalâ Debian system by just adding the repository and installing the packages.

Iâve got to admit though, the websiteâs really not that good at showing itâs capabilities, but there is an online demo available here: http://demo.omv-extras.org/

The best thing about OMV is the plugins â there you can add what you want, the best list is here: http://omv-extras.org/simple/

It has plugins for DLNA/UPnP-AV, Calibre (eBooks) as well as other useful things such as OwnCloud, RoundCube, WordPress, etc â and of course it supports FTP / NFS /

So, I have my old PC in a cupboard with 1TB of RAID1 storageâ it powers up at 6am, scans everything for viruses and then sits there until 11pm where it will power down.

If thereâs still network traffic, itâll stay on, so if anyoneâs accessing it, or if thereâs scheduled downloads then they can complete, then, when itâs all quiet, it powers down again. It also has Wake On LAN setup in case I need to access something at 1amâ