Re: [LUG] Monitoring my IP address data

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 09:34:47AM +0000, Tom wrote:
> I've just tried to get onto a web site I infrequently use and been
> told my IP address has been banned.
> I've got a BT router - is there any way of checking my outgoing data
> to see if I've got something lurking on the inside trying to infect
> the world? It may be down to letting Xmas guests on my lan - I cant
> see anything at the moment?

I don't think any of the standard home routers provide this
functionality, and even if you could check outgoing data, finding
malicious activity isn't trivial to an untrained eye.

It might be worth checking the IP address against a bunch of blacklists:

http://multirbl.valli.org/

Important note: it is normal for the IP address to be blacklisted by a
number of lists (Spamhaus PBL for instance), as it's a consumer IP
address and it shouldn't send spam; these blacklists are proactive
rather than reactive. But if you find your IP address on more than two
dozen lists, or on lists that explicitly reflect actual malicious
behaviour, you know something is the matter.

Martijn.