Re: [LUG] OT: best way to clean an infested XP setup

On 22/12/2014 09:48, bad apple wrote:
> On 22/12/14 09:32, Tom wrote:
>> A friend has a little laptop running XP that appears to be infested.  I
>> thought I'd ask here before volunteering to help out.
>> I see clam has a windows version - will that struggle through the
>> malware or should I make a thumb drive with something on and boot from
>> that.
>> Its a long time since I've been near window and I hope i havent ruined
>> xmas asking!
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> Windows XP? Are you kidding?
>
> Nuke it from orbit and install an actual operating system. You know, one
> still in official support from it's manufacturer.
>
> Why are you even asking such a stupid question?
>
> Don't mean to be mean. Just, seriously, what the hell are you even
> thinking? Why does anyone need to tell you something so jaw-droppingly
> obvious? Did you fail sysadmin 101 recently? Come on Tom. Get that piece
> of crap off the internet immediately. Ignore what the pig-ignorant moron
> user may or may not want and do what's right instead. At this point any
> XP machine is just a malware infested hacker jump-off point. Can they
> seriously not afford £50 for a grey market ebay Win8.1 license?
>
> PS: ClamAV is worse than useless, unless you enjoy finding only virii
> that are 10 years old. Combofix is what you want, sorting out that
> crappy XP laptop so it's not a general menace to society is what
> everyone else wants so get to it.

I agree get off XP for network, but if person has a Windows only program
such as say old Microsoft Money, then I load a Linux and run Win 98 in
virtual non-internet machine with re-installed Microsoft money  only for
accounts keeping.
Email etc on Linux.
Agreed a new Win OS grey market is better, but current one Win 8.1 is a
great learning hill for older folks.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald