Re: [LUG] Resizing a partition

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 21:38:48 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Brad Rogers wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 18:50:48 +0000 (GMT)
> > Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Gordon,
> >
> >> I think running gparted might help, but you might have to boot the
> >
> > Using gparted, it's possible to move a partition, and increase or
> > decrease its size(1).  There's no need to worry about start
> > positions, etc. as gparted will take care of all that for you.  Of
> > course, all the usual warnings about having backed up any and all
> > data first still apply.
> >
> >> laptop off a recovery CD with gparted installed and run it from
> >> there.
> >
> > Quite so, as (AFAIAA) any (re)partitioning tool will not work on a
> > mounted partition.
>
> You can change paritions, etc. on live systems. You'll also shoot
> yourself in the foot if not careful too.
>
> Gordon

Thanks for all the help. I have got it sorted. I don't use gparted very
often so I easily forget things. I had forgotten that any unallocated
space must be reduced in size to make room to extend the partition
which is alongside. Anyway it is now done, thanks again,

Neil