[LUG] Resizing a partition

On my laptop I had two main partitions, one with Xubuntu and one with
Mint. I have decided to get rid of Mint, so I have deleted the
partition using Gparted live..  I had to run boot repair but now I can
boot into the Xubuntu partition.

Now, when I check using gparted, I have the Xubuntu partition, sda1, on
the left and then a partition marked 'unallocated' next to it. I want to
extend the Xubuntu partition to  include the unallocated part.

When I try to resize it I can make it smaller but I cannot make it
larger. It shows no space available after it. I must be missing
something.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Neil