Re: [LUG] Cornwall Raspberry Pi Users Group...

On 09/11/14 12:28, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014, John Veryan wrote:

Hi, new to this, but not new to Linux I have been a full time Linux user for nearly 10 years.

Anyway I am trying to set up a Raspberry Pi Users Group for Cornwall, with a view to setting up a Jam in Cornwall somewhere. This has come from a need to talk to other Pi Fans, but unfortunately I can't get to the meets in Devon. I have setup a Facebook group already, if that takes off then I will try and organise a regular meet and then with the help of others get a regular Jam going. I am also on Twitter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cornwallraspberrypi/

Incredibile as this may seem, not everyone uses facebook, so it might be a good idea to set that page to be public. Without a facebook account, I'm unable to see it.

https://twitter.com/CRPUG

Also, I'm not conviced your retweeting of lol-shite and bolocks is going to attract people either. Your twitter account is not one I want to follow. Maybe keep the rubbish to your personal account? ie. Maplin deals, yes, questional photos of a Waitrose... No. Especially if you're trying to attract young people to it.

However is it a good idea but do note that it's already been tried and failed for whatever reason - although I suspect it wasn't the Pi Jam side itself that struggled, but the cafe/hackspace/workshop that it was running in - in the middle of Penzance too. I've no idea what happened to it, but the mailing list has been quiet for over a year and their website is gone. (http://www.tech-shed.org/)

Cornwall (& Devon) are geographically big and hard to cover - we did have a good turnout (relatively speaking) in Torbay yesterday, but it was more like a kids computer club at one point...

Gordon

Good points, well made. Unfortunately there is no way to make a Facebook Group public, you can however with a page. So there is a little more work to do there. Unfortunately you got to the Twitter page before I purged all my old nonsense, it can take up to 12 hours for Tweetdelete to do it, sorry my bad. To honest I am not a fan of Faceache, but it is a popular medium and if you want to set up a public event it is an effective way of doing so. So I will work on a publicly accessible page. It is still very early days on this.

I was not aware of anything that had gone on previously in Penzance. I am sad to hear it had failed. But this is something I have to try.

I'd love to be able to get to the Torbay and Exeter Jams, but they are just too far to warrant the travelling I am afraid, not sure I'd make it in my old Volkswagen. I am well aware of the problems with Cornwall geographically, but hopefully I will be able to find somewhere that can accommodate a Jam that is reasonably central.

Personally I'd be happy if kids were involved. Even if they are just messing around with ideas. My 9 year old's christmas present will be building a homebrew Ambilight clone for her Openelec media centre, small beans I know but it is something simple and easy to get her teeth into as a first project.

So if anyone is interested, feel free to contact me.

John Veryan.