Re: [LUG] Fstrim

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014, Neil Winchurst wrote:

My fairly new laptop has an SSD disk which I am still learning about. I have just installed Mint 17 Xfce, dual boot with Xubuntu 14.04, just to check it out. I know that I need to run fstrim to keep the disk in good shape. Running a locate for fstrim I have found one in cron.weekly which runs fstrim-all.

Also there is a file /sbin/fstrim-all which appears to do the same thing. So I am wondering, will they both run or does the file in sbin not run automatically? And, if they both run, does it matter? Thanks for any help,

If you search back through the archives, you'll find that this is somewhat sub-optimal and there's no need to do it at all.

And they're probably going to be run when the laptop is turned off anyway. (so they'll never be run)

What you do need to do is edit /etc/fstab and add in the discard parameter to the partitions on your SSD that are mounted ext4.

Gordon