Re: [LUG] Moving Dropbox to another drive

sorry if I'm repeating anything I dropping in from 10000ft.

checking you have understood:
a) the drive partition is what you need to mount not the drive  i.e.  /dev/disk0  is
not the same as  /dev/disk0s1   //this is an example
b) media/Movies/home isn't a valid absolute path. its a relative, when you mount it
needs to be absolute i.e /media/movies
c) don't mount /home on /media/Movies/home and not sensible for a multitude of
reasons
d) try not to mount thing drives in some arbitrary sub directory … it will lead to
grief i.e. mount not found or worst.
e) you can't mount a partition twice or amount point twice.
f)  permanent mount points should be from /
g) temp mount points can be some where like /media/myusb  or /Volumn/myportabledrive
h) the unix help command explains the little things :    so man fstab  or man mount
, or man -k mount will l;ear to useful info
i) the linux documentation project explains big picture things

Wisdom / not instruction:

don't try to mount the disk on some sub directory of say
/home/Movies/MyCrazyBigDiskMountPoint… keep the mount point high in the food chain
and use a link if you need some paths to stay consistent traversal.

The basic action to do this would be:

turn off dropbox
unmount the current /home
mount the new disk  partitions   as  /home and /Dropbox?
mount the old disk partition as /oldhome
move files around to the new locations
check permissions and users
edit stab for the new location -- removing the old mappings
edit the dropbox config or use a link.
and reboot.

//Drop box won't resync -it's savvy and understands you might have over the /dropbox
root folder.
// mount can be done using the mount command -- only set stab once you are happy
with the layouts.
// did you partition and format the new big disk?   cfdisk /dev/disk0   and mkext4
etc.