Re: [LUG] 20140915 Advice on VPN

Well.

What are you VPN'ing to / from?

And what traffic are you trying to protect? If you're just downloading public stuff
off the public internet, then I presume you're just trying to protect yourself from
others using the same wifi.

Are you trying to connect to your own server at "the other end"?

If so, you should be good to go with basically anything above a breakfast cereal DSL
router. My Draytek has VPN capabilities - so I can VPN back to home, and then use
that connection back out to the interweb (it can be a bit slow, as the DSL line's
being used in both directions at the same time).

Of course, if you can't get a VPN going quickly, then there's also the option of
just simply setting up an SSH tunnel to "something at the other end" and that'll get
you at least encrypted traffic. This can work with a VPS server floating around in
"the cloud" (man, I hate that word now), but basically, you can SSH to whatever end
device you want and then setup a proxy to pass all your web traffic through the SSH
tunnel.

There's plenty to find on the interweb about setting that up.

As for the VMs - I'm presuming that they're all using your host (laptop?) NIC
anyway, so if they're in bridged / NAT mode, then they'll be using the same VPN as
the laptop (I can only speak for Win7 there - I use this setup for work...)