Re: [LUG] Multiseat

On 19 Sep 2014 21:59, "Daniel Robinson" <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to start a topic on Multiseat configuration for the group to discuss.
>
> Please couldÂeverybodyÂwith any experience give some information on what it would take to set one of these system up. In particular;
>
> whatÂhardware is required to make this possible
> which flavour of unix works best for a Multiseat configuration (educational software for users)
> what are todays realistic optimalÂhardware requirements for such an environment
> preferred software combinationsÂ
> configuration options
>
> perhaps up toÂten users in a local proximity will need to login to a server so a scale fromÂfive users to ten on the hardware specifications areÂpreferred.

About 2004/5 I attempted a multi-seat setup with some of my students. We used separate PCI graphics cards with different chipsets, and USB keyboards and mice (so each had it's own unique identifier) to make the XFree86 config easier.

It ran, just. Problem we had and never overcame was that when one user closed their X session, the whole lot closed and restarted for everyone.

Grant