Re: [LUG] Unnecessary Questions

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:28:03 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> An alternative view;
>
> Surely the provider of the service you want to use has the right to
> demand anything they like in return for providing it?
>
> If you deem it's a bad deal for you, you have the obvious option of
> not using it - this is at least a somewhat more up-front method of
> data mining than tracking cookies and background profiling, which you
> don't get much say in (without making an effort to set up blocking
> software)  You could drop out, you could send a
> polite/information/ranting email to them explaining why you did not
> choose to opt in (being aware that you're submitting personal info at
> the time)
>
> If enough people opt not to sign up and thus cannot use the service,
> the provider will either change practice or stop (or be forced to
> stop) their business. If enough provide it to serve their needs,
> they'll keep it going. There's not /many/ things on the internet that
> you can't get elsewhere (there's a few, certainly).
>
> They want something back from you in return. It's just business. Good
> or bad business, time will tell.
>
> (Although the only time I think I've been asked for DOB as mandatory
> to progress on a random site is american hosted computer game sites
> who are required by law to include these pointless and annoying age
> checks - but it's not the content provider's fault)

Thanks, I go along with most of that. I do accept that sometimes a DOB
is important and/or necessary. Where I get cross is where it seems to
me to be completely irrelevant and yet it is a required field. Then I
do as you suggest and go elsewhere or else put in wrong data.

Sometimes all I want is a quick look around a site. Should I really
need to register for that? In fact, once I see that registration is
needed for that I go away.

A recent example was when I was looking to order a sim card for a new
phone.To do that I had to provide my address details, of course, so
that they knew where to send it. I also had to pay for it, again of
course. But they also wanted my date of birth. Why, for heaven's sake.
What on earth did they need that for? I gave up and went elsewhere.

Neil