Re: [LUG] Two DrayTek Vigor modems on the same LAN

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 11:21:50PM +0100, Simon Avery wrote:
> If you have two dhcp servers on any network, it's a recipe for randomness,
> especially if they're set to allow any new client. You should never give
> the same ip ranges to two dhcp servers though. 9 times out of ten, any
> unexplained weirdness on a network will be IP conflict.

Yeah, that makes sense. I *think* in this setup there shouldn't be a
conflict, because they're really on separate networks (DHCP packets
shouldn't go beyond the machines the routers are connecting to) but
here my reasoning becomes sloppy. Of course, making sure they use
separate IP ranges for their respective DHCP stuff won't hurt.)

(Just to clarify: DHCP is only used to manage the modem. As Gordon
points out, the actual traffic uses PPPoE. The network itself only uses
fixed IP addresses.)

Thans

Martijn.