Re: [LUG] Has anyone know if i can use a generic power supply for a dell inspiron 1300

On 09/09/14 12:02, Julian Hall wrote:

On 09/09/14 11:52, Joseph Bennie wrote:

Hi All,

My father in law just dropped off his laptop without the PSU for repairs - does anyone know if i can hook it up to a generic supply - or will it need to be a dell?

If the latter has anyone got one in their junk box?

I’d go an get his but i just can’t face the spanish inquisition about why he “...does not understand why his battery only works for 40 mins - he’d always had it connected to the main power." type questions.

Face palm :)
It will need to be one with the same connector of course and they're not universal yet, plus the same wattage - volts x amps, or at least approximately the same. It should say on the underside what the power requirements are.

Julian

Yes, as Julian said. Same wattage and connector and you can use pretty much anything.

I used to be pretty strict with myself regarding laptop PSUs and made sure I only used the "proper-jobs". I'm now pretty blasé and will stick almost anything into any socket that fits (fnar!)

Martin