Re: [LUG] 20140828 help please to visualise XP on bricked laptop

On 28/08/2014 10:20, Paul Sutton wrote:

>> 7 This is first time I have had a machine with BIOS Locked by a
>> forgotten or unobtainable BIOS password, and disassembly to remove CMOS
>> battery is a very long and complex job, I would not want to do.
>>
>> Any comments or help.
>>

> If you could  give us more details on the make / model number and info
> on the bios (type and version) there are tools out there to crack the
> bios.  It is one option.
>
> What about using virtual box ?  I am sure you can use dd to create a
> disk image file or make this in to an .iso file that can be booted by
> virtual box.  (if it works this way)
>

> Paul

I can run Virtual Box in RoboLinux easily (This is the dual boot on the
machine). I have not used virtual Box on OpenSUSE, but do so on my
Windows machines to run Linux OSs. (Windows 7 used for my paid work
interaction with main customer who is 'locked into' MS & MS Outlook.)
It is how to make the 'image' for the Virtual Box that I do not know.

Machine is:
HP Compaq 7620s
serial number CNU8031CPV
part number GR6665ET#ABU
Service tag     c6720sUT5470W5X1201BN100a UK
CoA MS Vista Business (but was operating XP pro)
I upgraded RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb
Per Hardware scan in OpenSUSE
Hewlett-Packard.68MDU "Ver. F.09.02/20/xx....
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 5470 @ 1.60GHz Internal L1 cache  Internal L2 cache
2 slots with RAM each 1GB Samsung make.(ex another HP laptop which I
upgraded to 4GB a long time ago)
No battery per OpenSUSE hardware check.
[NO usable battery - battery present but duff. (which is why I think it
was redundant at his old firm)]

Booting screen: shows PXF 2.1  build 086
Intel boot agent GV 1.2.44 Beta 1

I can email the whole scan file if wanted as text file.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald