Re: [LUG] 4k for fun and profit

On 23/08/14 21:11, Anthony Williams wrote:
> On 23/08/14 18:22, bad apple wrote:
>> So, I just switched up recently: I have a Dell 32" 4k IPS panel at home
>> for my workstations
>
> I like the sound of that!
>
> Which model is it, and which graphics card do you use to drive it?
>
> Anthony

Ah ha, you're the other gentleman interested in workstation class
graphics... if I remember rightly, you were the only one who responded
to my graphics card query with a Quadro.

Monitor: Dell UP3214Q

Tried driving it originally with my venerable 8800 GTX: no go. My new
AMD R290 arrived literally two days ago, and that drives it fine (with
tweaks, the drivers are a bit immature).

My secondary box (Debian build system) has a second gen i7, with built
in graphics (Intel HD 3000): surprisingly, that drives the 4k screen ok
as well, although there are noticable problems in VLC/MPV when playing
back 4k sample movies: 1080p or lower are fine. Normal (gnome shell
3.10, awesome) desktop operations in 4k are ok.

The laptop has that annoying bumblebee thing, with crappy Intel 4600
graphics for the basics - in Win8.1, somehow it can drive the full panel
but it buckles under Linux. If I switch to display port (no HDMI output
for some reason - it works, but not in 4k mode) and manually enable the
beast's Quadro K1100M graphics card, I get full 4k output.

I checked, and it turns out I was too hopeful: full 10 bit, Adobe gamut
corrected output only happens under Linux, on the laptop, via the
Quadro. The r290 in my workstation claims to be in 10 bit mode but it
lies; hopefully this will be corrected in the drivers before long.

At least before my AMD w9100* arrives :]

Her majesty seems strangely unimpressed by my new 4k revelation and is
not particularly pleased on my insistence that I need two more 4k
screens at approximately 3 grand. I'm working on it. I just need to be
super nice for a bit, and then buy them whilst she's not looking...

Regards

* proper overkill