[LUG] 4k for fun and profit

So, I just switched up recently: I have a Dell 32" 4k IPS panel at home
for my workstations (via my creaky old KVM) and my new work laptop, a
Dell Precision M3800 with an immense touchscreen just showed up after
months of waiting. I think they probably had to order it directly from
China, it took that long.

How am I finding it?

I will never, ever buy anything in the crappy realms of 1080p again. A
good friend recently gave me my first ever PS3 so I could play an anime
inspired game, and I nearly puked when I first booted it and gazed upon
it's craptastic 720p output. I lasted 5 minutes and it's been shut off
ever since.

How is Linux handling it?

Just fine! Surprisingly. It's not perfect, to be fair: I've spent quite
a lot of time tweaking and tuning and yeah, there are still some issues
with gnome shell applying different levels of scaling to fonts and the
other GUI elements. I've spent literally hours manually adjusting
infinality to get my font rendering just so, but it was worth it.

After some considerable effort, Linux is now playing and winning versus
Win8.1 (considerable issues with 4k scaling, even with custom drivers)
and even Mac OSX (MacBook Pros now look lame next to the 8 core 4th gen
i7/16Gb RAM/mSATA 256Gb linux fueled beast).

The damage:

ghost@panzerkunst:~ xrandr | head -n 3
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3200 x 1800, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDPI connected 3200x1800+0+0 346mm x 194mm
  3200x1800     60.0*+

I am never, EVER going back. I've been wearing glasses since I was
little, and my eyes have never been happier with me. Just look at that
maximum: 16384x16384. When they make a display that can actually do that
insane resolution, I will be first in the queue to buy one.

4k TVs? Waste of time. Jaw dropping prices, no content. For an actual
computer? No brainer. I am literally throwing out 1080 displays left
right and centre now. I thought the missus' retina MacBook was overkill
initially, but I was so, so wrong. As soon as she'll let me, I'm getting
another 2 Dell panels for a 3 way 4k main system. So many millions of
lovely pixels :]

4k was a big stepping stone for me: I'm surprisingly conservative when
it comes to new tech, usually preferring old, boring tried and tested
stuff, often bought cheap a generation or two behind as a bargain. For
once I took the jump and got ahead of the curve and I can't believe how
well it turned out. I read a lot of horror stories about crappy Linux
HighDPI support before I decided to ignore them all and do it anyway,
and very surprisingly, it paid off big time.

So do yourselves a favour and start saving up pennies. 4k is here, and
it is AWESOME.

Regards