Re: [LUG] 4k for fun and profit

On 23/08/14 19:36, Mark Evans wrote:
> On 23/08/14 18:22, bad apple wrote:
>> So, I just switched up recently: I have a Dell 32" 4k IPS panel at home
>> for my workstations (via my creaky old KVM) and my new work laptop, a
>> Dell Precision M3800 with an immense touchscreen just showed up after
>> months of waiting. I think they probably had to order it directly from
>> China, it took that long.
>
> Might be worth a read of
> http://www.revk.uk/2014/08/uhd-tv-as-monitor.html too.

Haha, that page is hilarious - from his blurb:

"I run an ISP. I write code. I like to do things right."

Which is why he bought a notoriously crappy Samsung TV instead of a an
actual monitor, didn't realise the Mac Mini he bought obviously wouldn't
be capable of driving it, failed to get his linux box to drive it
properly and even now is stuck with 30Hz refresh rates and loads of
artifacts. What a moron.

As opposed to me. I just bought a proper 4k monitor that does 60Hz in 10
bit colour, connected it to a workstation class graphics card and
tweaked a few settings. Funnily enough, I'm a lot happier than him with
the results, and don't have a pig ugly gigantic TV on my desk making my
eyes bleed.

If that's "doing things right", I'm very, very glad I'm not a customer
of his in any way. Idiots like him are fortunately why I make very good
money doing things properly, the first time :]

Regards