Re: [LUG] Apache redirects advice

You can set it as a 301 by Redirect 301 oldfile http://newdomain/newfile Âbut there's a lot of ways to do it. I don't pretend to be an indexing agent but htaccess can do a lot, especially if you get adventurous and explore mod_rewrite through it.

Quick guide;Âhttp://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/redirects/setting-up-a-301-permanent-redirect-via-htaccess

On 10 August 2014 13:59, Kevin Lucas <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 2014-08-10 at 12:25 +0100, Simon Avery wrote:
> Hi Kevin
>

> When I've had to update stuff without breaking old links, I try to
> keep it to htaccess redirects.
>

> Create .htaccess in /home/user/public_html (or other html root)
>

> Add lines like this;
>

> Redirect /old_relative_path/oldfile http://www.yourdomain.com/new_file
>

> Apache simply redirects as it comes in. ÂDoes require "AllowOverride
> All" (or a restriction of) in Apache's sites-enabled file for the
> appropriate site.
>

> Hope that helps,
>

> Simon

Thanks Ill give this a go
what do the google bots do when they are redirected? is this similar to
a 301 or do they treat the link as OK?

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)