Re: [LUG] Linux + High End GPUs

On 9 August 2014 18:10, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
"I'm doing some shopping for a "stepping stone" graphics card - my needs
are decidedly more workstation orientated than gaming orientated,"

"My already powerful main PC has a strong but now very aged Nvidia 8800
GTX that needs replacing with something decent enough to get me through
the interim period."

ÂMay I suggest a very quiet Nvidia Geforce 560ti, You should be able to pick one of these up for between Â60 & Â100. I got an unopened with 1 year guarantee insurance swap on eBay for Â100 and it is ideal for the level of quality you can expect to get from a unix workstation. If you were to find a 3x fan edition graphics card you'd get near silent operation. Bang for buck I would say it is the best single GPU graphics card out there and it should see you through until you feel ready for the upgrade.

"When I order the new box in probably Q4 this year it will be a monster:
dual Xeons, ~256Gb RAM, multiple 4k displays and probably a Â2500 AMD
FirePro W9100 so I don't want to get anything too pricey now as it will
be replaced within a few months anyway. But I don't want to half-arse it
either, as whatever I buy will remain in service in backup machines for
years and years to come."

Are you hoping to record in real time high energy atomic collisions?

"So, any recommendations people? Anyone got a high end GPU on their Linux
box they want to recommend? Or perhaps even more importantly, anyone got
a high end GPU on their Linux box they want to specifically warn me off?
Either way, I want to order this thing before long as my first 4k
display arrives next week and I need something to drive it with."

Really, there isn't many native games on Linux which require such graphics, the limitations of Wine hold games to DirextX 9 and you really don't need amazing graphics to run any of the available games.

What you are looking for is a number crunching GPU for folding proteins or searching for ET.

Cheers

Cheers :)