Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi

On 09/08/14 20:02, bad apple wrote:

> The software isn't going to be an issue - believe it or not, I've got
> well ahead of myself and have a cross-compiler set up already: I'll
> probably be building a lot of my own software for these boards for fun
> and profit (bit mostly fun!).

You could probably compile directly on the hardware, though possibly NOT
to a filesystem on the (micro) SD card.

> It's weird that PoE isn't more mainsteam for these boards, it seems like
> a natural fit to me. Working with wifi APs, VOIP phones and security

Adding the hardware would be likely to increase the cost of the device.
Also the manufacturer dosn't really see it as a "network device". Even
though that is exactly what some people use them for.

> cams a lot I'm really used to just plugging stuff into PoE switches,
> VLANing it off and calling it a day but if they're that expensive, well,
> I'll just do it normally. Again, glad I remembered to ask.

If you need 802.1Q support it's identical to using any other Debian
derivative. (Including the vlan utility not being installed by default.)