Re: [LUG] Permissions are a pain (SOLVED)

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 02:27:52 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28/06/14 22:43, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
> >I am a Linux only user for 15 years now
>
> Holy crap, that's longer than me... *you* should be telling me how to
> fix things by now surely :]

I donât think so. The last version of Windows that I ever used was
Windows 98 the year is came out. The next year I moved to Linux.

> > sudo chown neilwin /media/neilwin/usb-device
>
> From man chown: "If only an owner (a user name or numeric user ID) is
> given, that user is made the owner of each given file, and the files'
> group is not changed."
>
> Note the 'given file' - your original command didn't operate
> recursively, although you should have been able to create/delete files
> in the usb drives' TLD after that. Maybe you were trying
> unsuccessfully to use the GUI to operate in subdirectories
> afterwards, which at that point hadn't inherited the parent
> directory's new permissions so would have naturally failed.
>
> >did not get any error messages
>
> You know how *nix works - no feedback means the command worked, for
> certain values of 'worked'. Well, the command returned an exit code of
> 0, for whatever that may be worth.  Out of pure habit I append ' -v'
> to almost every command I type in a shell so I get a bit more
> information about what on earth is happening.

Yes, I see all that now. I must be getting sloppy in my old age. And
the -v flag is usually useful so I tend to use it too.

> > Permissions can indeed be a pain.

But both useful and necessary. I do realise that.

> sudo is there for a reason, just be careful when you bruteforce
> things. It is definitely in your best interests to understand *nix
> permissions - which are awesome by the way, far *far* better than
> windows - and I always point curious people towards this old but
> excellent tutorial:
>
> http://www.grymoire.com/unix/Permissions.html

Will have a look at that. Thanks.

Neil