Re: [LUG] Bluetooth USB

On 28/06/14 09:33, Martin Gautier wrote:

>> I don't know how much help that is though - I think that just about
>> every single bluetooth dongle out there has the same chipset in it:
>>
>> ghost@failbot:~$ lsusb | grep -i blue
>> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
>> Dongle (HCI mode)
>> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
>> Dongle (HCI mode)
>>
>> Regards
>>
> On that basis then, almost anything from a half decent supplier should
> be fine? Mine's from Tesco (own brand - Technica?).
>
> Martin

I certainly would have thought so - both of the units I happen to have
plugged in here are similarly no-name, sub £5 devices and I've never had
any problems with them.

I'm impressed by how thorough some people are, it never would have even
occurred to me to research linux compatibility before buying a bluetooth
dongle. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled now, but it's been many, many years
since I bothered to check linux compatibility with anything except
graphics cards before buying, and I can't  remember the last time I had
any kind of problem that I couldn't easily fix with 10 seconds on
google. Linux these days has by far the best driver and hardware
compatibility of any OS, even Windows.

Actually, that's not strictly true - I'm currently in the market for a
4k display for my workstation, and it seems that high DPI compatibility
is a bit of an issue on Linux (Gnome shell handles it best so far it
seems). But it is early days, and quite frankly high DPI screens aren't
handled very well by any OS, and that includes Mac OS X on retina
displays. For the moment I'm holding off until the technology matures a
little bit more first, I don't like being an early adopter when there is
that much money at stake...

Regards