[LUG] Login problem

I have a laptop with two versions of Xubuntu on it, 13.04 and 13.10. I
am preparing to upgrade to version 14.04, so I need to make sure to
backup some of the old files.

Today I tried to log on to v 13.04 and I keep getting a message that
the password is wrong. I have made absolutely sure that it is not
wrong. Also my wife is set up as a user on this version too, and her
log on is rejected for the same reason.

At first I thought a grub problem. So I tried to log on to version
13.10 and that has the same problem. Now, as far as I know, each
version has its own grub file and log on set up. So there must be
something else going on.

Can anyone suggest where to look next please?

Thanks

Neil