Re: [LUG] Upgrading Mint 16 to 17

On 02/06/14 23:32, bad apple wrote:
On 02/06/14 23:19, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I upgraded Mint 15 to 16 using apt-get following bad apple's excellent
tutorial, and now I'd like to do the same from 16-17.  I found a how-to
online which basically says to edit the sources and replace petra with
qiana and saucy with trusty.

Am I correct in thinking these lines (taken from bad apple's tutorial
and modified as I /think/ the online How-to means) do exactly that?

2: Edit apt sources

cd /etc/apt
sed -i 's/petra/qiana/g' sources.list
sed -i 's/saucy/trusty/g' sources.list

3: If you have extra repos here (PPAs, etc) also edit them

ls sources.list.d/
sed -i 's/petra/qiana/g' sources.list.d/*.list
sed -i 's/saucy/trusty/g' sources.list.d/*.list

If I am right I'll just use bad apple's tutorial again with these
modified lines.

Kind regards,

Julian

That's exactly right chief - just change the release names as
appropriate in sources.list and anything under sources.list.d/ also: I
think Mint has references to it's parent Ubuntu distro in there as well,
so you'd probably also want to check for any instances of saucy that
need to be changed to trusty.

I guess that must mean Mint 17 has just been released then, I didn't
realise.

Regards

Hi bad apple,

Yes it was released a couple of days ago. I have just completed update on my laptop, and all /seemed/ to be going well. However on reboot I have a strange problem. I can login using my normal password, however the system will no longer accept my su password. I have not changed it, so I am at a loss to understand what has happened.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Julian