Re: [LUG] Truecrypt

On 29 May 2014 18:51:19 GMT+01:00, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2014 17:59:55 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2014, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I have used Truecrypt in the past but it appears the something has
gone wrong with the program and it is no longer considered 'safe'.

I just used it to have a folder to keep some private documents. Now
it is no longer any use, could I ask people what they use/recommend
instead?

What's wrong with the version you currently have?

Just because the current source/binaries appear somewhat suspicious
doesn't mean (for now) that the older version you have isn't good.

Or have I missed something?

Gordon

I have just moved across to the new version of Xubuntu 14.04 LTS. I
installed it as a dual boot with the previous version I was using. At
the moment I do not have Truecrypt installed in this new version.
Before I got round to doing that I noticed some reports that Truecrypt
is no longer being maintained and, more to the point, no longer
considered safe. The recommendation seems to be to forget TC and to
look elsewhere. Hence the question.

Neil

Probably best to wait a few days to see how this plays out. The Truecrypt developers being anonymous creates the obvious problem that there doesn't seem to be anyone to speak out with any authority.

Kevin