Re: [LUG] Guide to Linux ...

On 20 May 2014 16:51, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know several young people (all under 14) who already use Linux (mainly on laptops) if we are going to change things, it may be worth looking in to how we can support / encourage the next generation, they will support each other, but there are times when that little bit of weird knowhow of a command or some obscure utility comes in useful.

Each of us can share our views and opinions our own way. I don't particularly like children so I wouldn't choose to teach them, but I'll give my time to those who ask for help, and I'm happy talking about subjects I know well.

But you don't need to be an evangalist to aid the cause, if the cause needs aiding - just being a user and doing your thing is enough. I sought out such answers at a time when linux was much more basic and far, far harder to get into. I once spent two entire weeks of evenings and weekends getting ONE program to compile. Now that program is in debian's main repos and it's a fairly foolproof 10 second install. Progress is good!