[LUG] Encrypt a USB flash drive

Rubbish and scam emails are getting worse recently. This is making me
think more about keeping my data safe. I do use memory sticks and an
external hard drive. So I am wondering, to start with, about encrypting
a memory stick to keep any data safe.

I have been looking around the internet and have found various ideas,
some seeming more complicated than others. For the moment I just need a
simple way to set up the stick so that, whenever I plug it in, I am
asked for a password. I have come across Truecrypt and LUKS and others.
I did experiment with Truecrypt but did not get on very well with it.

This will be just for my own use, not to be shared with others, and
most certainly never allowed near any computer running Windows. So can
anyone come up with some suggestions please?

Thanks

Neil