Re: [LUG] EU ruling on Google

On Thu, 15 May 2014 13:47:00 +0100, Philip Hudson
<phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On 15 May 2014 12:00,  <lug@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> If that was true then where are the geniune Google competitors?
>
>I'm taking that to be a rhetorical question, an expression of an
>attitude/belief. If you are genuinely asking for an explanation,
>please correct me.

Well, of course it isn't rhetorical. If, as you say, Google truly added
very little value then they would have a bunch of competitors at their
level because there is certainly a profit to be made in the search
business.

Web content in itself would have very little value if you couldn't find
it when you needed it. Imagine a library with all the books randomly
sorted and no librarian. Even just as a web librarian Google offers a
fair bit of value.

I certainly don't like the current situation and bypass Google whenever
I can, but to say they are just getting a free ride off of the rest of
us is just plain wrong.

Kevin