Re: [LUG] NVidia Graphics Cards

On Tue, 13 May 2014 12:27:33 +0100
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

>So I am wondering, if these cards are still a bit of a problem with
>Linux why do people bother with them? I am assuming that they must have

Largely, the issues are gone.  The people that seem to have the most
trouble (none of them here, I hasten to add) are those people that think
they know a good deal more than they actually do.  As a result, they
fail to read all the installation instructions, and end up screwing
the process up.  What causes real problems is the necessity of shutting
down the X server to perform the upgrade.  With DKMS (IDK what distros
other than Debian use it), that's really a thing of the past.

As Grant points out, nVidia stop support of what they deem to be old
cards and that can cause problems.  I can't speak about other distros,
but Debian's maintainers are aware of this, and keep suitable packages
available for installation to allow us to keep using these older cards.
Whenever an nVidia upgrade comes through Debian it pays to just check
that your card is still supported in the 'current' driver or whether
you'll need to switch to one of the legacy packages.

--
 Regards  _
Chose to play the fool in a six piece band