Re: [LUG] Backup in Linux

On 04/05/14 08:17, Simon Avery wrote:

May  3 16:15:22 Cerce kernel: [ 9976.875915] Buffer I/O error on device sda5, logical block 24149647

May  3 16:15:25 Cerce kernel: [ 9979.408118] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed

Do they point to a failing hard disk, or is it something else?  It all runs perfectly - for now anyway..

IME, yes - HDD's dying. OS trying to work around the problem but failing.

Things to do:

1. Ensure your backups are good and elsewhere.

2. Depends. Is this an important machine? If so, replace the hdd now. If not, you might want to let it develop, but keep in mind it - like every other hdd - is going to go splat at some point, although it could be weeks or months into the future.  Or seconds. :)

Thanks Simon,

1.  Backups are on the aforementioned USB drive, so yes - elsewhere.

2.  It's my desktop machine.. my /only/ desktop machine.  All important data is on my NAS in RAID 1, so automatically backed up - if in the same box at least to different physical drives.  Might be time to shunt all the Windows Documents onto it too.  /home and / backed up successfully, so it's possible it's only the Windows partitions are going belly up, but it would be daft to assume it will /stay/ that way.

Julian