Re: [LUG] Backup in Linux

On 03/05/14 19:22, Martin Gautier wrote:

On 03/05/14 18:35, Julian Hall wrote:
Following all your advice and bad apple's detailed explanation above I have managed to backup my Mint root /, /home, and the Windows XP partition.  The Windows 'My Documents' partition is currently backing up now.

However, the Windows 7 partition is not going so well.  After several hours backing up, it terminated with the following error:

rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.9]

Error 23 seems to be 'partial transfer due to error', but what I need to understand is /what/ error?  There is plenty of space on the partition it's backing up to - I purchased a SATA 2.5" 1Tb HD and caddy, partitioned it in half and am backing up Windows to 1 500Gb partition and Mint to the other, the Windows partition has about half free; I say 'about half' due to the current backup mentioned above still being underway; it won't be full even when that's finished, but as Windows 7 was backed up /before/ this one it had even more space available when it crashed.  The rsync error says 'see previous errors', where would I look for that please?
/var/log/syslog would be a good start?

If you run the rsync command with the "-v" option (see man rsync) you may get more information if/when it crashes the next time...

Martin

The command I run at the moment is rsync -aAXv /media/julian/WINDOWS7 /media/julian/HECATE/WINDOWS_7 - with the aAXv doesn't that have -v already in it?

Julian