Re: [LUG] firefox update

On 30 April 2014 17:17, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I absolutely love the way everyone relentlessly abuses Mozilla (how dare
they give us the world's best web browser for free, the bastards!) and
curses every single Firefox UI change that comes down the pipe

FF is great software and by far the most used program I run. (It's marginally Thunderbird at work, but that stays turned off at home). I have mine modded to exactly how I like it and regular improvements genuinely add features ("Close Tabs to the Right" is a brilliant example of simple but effective time saving). Plugins and greasemonkey scripts allow me to change how I work and play, and there is more choice for FF than any other (grand and unchecked statement!)

The "New" look (must be two years old now?) isn't to my taste, but a simple very well documented change returns things to how I like them. I share settings, bookmarks and toolbar tabs via mozilla's own sync tool and that works very well indeed.

So why does it attract such hate?

My guess is fashion. IE is hated because historically it was horrendous. Now it's actually okay, but still does many things that I find annoying - but people will hate it because it's cool to, even if they don't know why. Same with FF, which is now "Old". Chrome is trendy, but I personally dislike it as a user experience.

I think Google wrote Chrome because, well, they could. I don't think there was a huge need for another browser, but why not if you've got money to burn and an agenda to control the internet? As a user, it's cool - one more choice, and not an awful one. Some choose it over the others.

I share your irritation about the FF hating. It's unfair and ungrateful - Mozilla have made changes to the way a large amount of the world interacts with the internet, for free. That's something to be proud of.

Simon

[Disclaimer: I still think the version number wars is bloody stupid, though. And I'm not entirely happy with its garbage collection - which does point towards the complexities of a modern web-browser. But then I dislike Chrome creating hundreds of standalone processes too - I'm just hard to please.]