[LUG] Issue adding user to ubuntu

Quick question, I've just logged in to a brand new VPS and was going about creating a new user and disabling root login via SSH.

I added the new user and added it to the sudo group, then logged in and tried to sudo and use apt-get to check for updates. I got the following error:

sudo:must be setuid root

I've never had this issue before in other 12.04 environments and did some googling and found out that in order to fix the issue I needed to run the following as root:

chmod +s /usr/bin/sudo

Now this did fix the issue, but my question is this... shouldn't this be set by default? Or has something potentially gone wrong when my VPS was built?