Re: [LUG] Backup in Linux

On 27/04/14 20:10, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I've been trying different GUI based programs for backup and had most luck with 'luckyBackup', however it's not /that/ lucky because no matter what Exclusions I give it, it keeps trying to add the content of drives that are currently mounted when I've told it to exclude them. I had a go with dd tonight but got this error after a few minutes:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda8 of=/media/julian/ARTEMIS/systembackup.img
dd: reading ‘/dev/sda8’: Input/output error
17130448+0 records in
17130448+0 records out
8770789376 bytes (8.8 GB) copied, 257.292 s, 34.1 MB/s

/dev/sda8 is the root of my Mint installation, ARTEMIS is a USB external HD.

Should I try 'luckyBackup' again but with other drives unmounted?

Kind regards,

Julian

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to this, Grant, Kevin, Simon, Gordon and bad apple. The situation at present is;

bad apple was right.. I am/was running dd from the active installation, and ermm.. no it didn't /seem/ to work. The block comments from Gordon explain why the img that did result is 8.8Gb when I don't have anything near that used.. 8.8Gb is nearer the size of the partition not the amount of data. So, the USB drive now has an 8.8Gb img file that /may/ have my system in it, and two copies of my Mint installation, one from luckyBackup - I did try doing that with the other partitions unmounted. One copy in the backup.root directory that rsync created.

However, given that I was executing rsync from the running installation I'm not sure even now if any of these are actually valid. I'll try bad apple's advice booting with a Live CD with Gordon's rsync instructions and see what happens.

Kind regards,

Julian