Re: [LUG] Virtual box

> You are correct as ever Mr Meowski, I am using 4.3.10 installed from the
> Oracle repository with the extension pack downloaded and installed.
> Going to devices, usb the result is "no devices connected" and greyed out.
>
> I have a Navman satnav connected (thread last week) and showing
> connection to computer on screen. If I open file manager in Mint I can
> see the satnav directory structure and files.  I closed the FM before
> trying to connect in XP.  I also connected a usb printer and could not
> see that in XP.
>
> George

Hmm, I don't think you're doing anything wrong here - there is of course
the possibility that Mint specifically requires you to unmount USB
devices from the host system before connecting them to a VM, but I don't
think I remember having to do that before. I once accidentally managed
to map my main keyboard to a VM by mistake and I'm sure there was no
warning or anything: it simply behaved as requested, removed my USB
mouse from my running host OS and connected it directly to the VM. Which
was a bit of a pain to sort out of course but it did show VBox behaving
as you'd expect it to.

I'm fiddling around with VMs at the moment so I'll start up a spare XP
instance and see if I can reproduce it here.

What is the output of these commands on your system?

id
VBoxManage list extpacks

The first will list your group memberships - you should see vboxusers
and plugdev in the list returned. The second will query your extension
pack to make sure it's installed and functioning properly.

Regards