Re: [LUG] Virtual box

On 14/04/14 21:42, Kevin Lucas wrote:
On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 21:09 +0100, bad apple wrote:
On 14/04/14 20:48, George Parker wrote:
I'm having trouble getting Vbox to see usb running Win XP. I run Mint 16
and had the supplied version 4.2 running with guest additions. I thought
the extension pack might help but had compatibility issues.  So, I
installed latest version 4.31 with guest additions and extension pack
with no joy.

Anybody any suggestions? Could it be that my mouse is usb so not
allowing the guest to use it?

George

I take it you mean "4.3.10"? Presuming that you are using the official
Oracle package (not the OSE version) and have the extension pack
installed, you shouldn't have any problems: I have several XP instances
running in VBox on Linux hosts with no issues. Did you fully purge all
of the old versions of VirtualBox prior to installing the latest version?

Is your problem that you can't map physical USB devices to the XP VM
properly? That works here as well.

Clarify a little bit so we can get to the bottom of it.

Regards

I am running 4.3.2.r90405

with no trouble using USB in Xp
do you see it in Devices?

You are correct as ever Mr Meowski, I am using 4.3.10 installed from the Oracle repository with the extension pack downloaded and installed. Going to devices, usb the result is "no devices connected" and greyed out.

I have a Navman satnav connected (thread last week) and showing connection to computer on screen. If I open file manager in Mint I can see the satnav directory structure and files. I closed the FM before trying to connect in XP. I also connected a usb printer and could not see that in XP.

George