Re: [LUG] OTT (article from the guardian) The brave new digital world is supposed to set us free (Christina Patterson)

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:55:56 +0100, Mark Croft
<mark.croft.lug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Christina Patterson
>
>The Guardian, Friday 4 April 2014 20.30 BST
>

>Now it's the middle class's turn to feel the employment earthquake
>
>The brave new digital world is supposed to set us free. But if work is
>'shared', not paid, who pays the bills?
>
>http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/04/middle-classes-employment-earthquake

A fairly typical fact free Grauniad piece.

Even when 3D printers (etc.) can actually make useful things you will
still need to get the machine, raw materials, plans and maintenance from
someone. I am just thinking about building a CNC mill and it certainly isn't
cheap so there are good jobs there at least for some people.

A world with a few less estate agents holds no fear for me although the
shop owners in Hyde Road in Paignton may be in trouble as it is ~50%
estate agents now.

Kevin