Re: [LUG] Security - HTTPS

On 08/04/14 14:47, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Just a coincidence after reading about the problems with OPENSSH
etc.

I recently asked about using a cloud server and was advised to try
owncloud. I have set this up and am playing with it to learn how it all
works.

Today I noticed a warning message that I am using HTTP and not HTTPS
for this and was told that it was not a good idea. I have my own website
which I am using for this, but have never thought about HTTPS (sorry
Bad Apple).

I have had a look around Google but have finished up more confused. Can
anyone point me in the right direction please? Is this something that I
can sort out for myself of must I ask my service provider? Can it be
set up per folder or only for the whole site? Lots of questions, any
help gratefully received.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil

For a personal/test server, you can self-certify and configure Apache to use the certificates you created.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=self+certify+apache+httsp#q=self+certify+apache+https

... should give you enough pointers to set this up.

If the server is internet facing, although self-certification will work (though you'll get warnings in the web browser), you might want to consider purchasing a set of certificates

Martin