Re: [LUG] OpenSSL 1.0.1 "Heartbleed" vulnerability

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:16:07AM +0100, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Still speculating: OpenSSH *login passwords* (and/or key passphrases?)
> needing to be considered compromised looks (slightly) more likely than
> OpenSSH private keys needing to be considered compromised.
>
> Having said all this, I guess I should make it clear that it is not
> impossible from what I've read so far that OpenSSH is not affected at
> all, or only in cases involving specifically SSL/TLS credentials. I've
> never encountered one myself.

The vulnerability allows anyone to obtain a chunk of memory from a
vulnerably server. If that server runs OpenSSH and if OpenSSH stores
passwords, key phrases and/or private keys in memory, it is affected,
regardless of the dependency between OpenSSL and OpenSSH.

Martijn.