Re: [LUG] [Maybe OT] Plex Media Server

Try and find the CPU made by creative... I think its called xii or something similar sounding. Then use your nogin and wrap something around it. ;)

On 6 Apr 2014 17:33, "bad apple" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Another question from me this time, potentially off-topic but I was
originally planning to host it on Linux boxes so not completely random...

I was investigating various solutions for MythTV/XBMC/Windows Media
Centre/iTunes-sharing/etc style dishing-up of centralised media stores
to all the networked devices in the house (and potentially, outside) for
various reasons - I get asked about them a lot and have a slightly
venerable but perfectly functional mashup of most of the above all
working together here at home. But I like to keep up with all the latest
and greatest developments and a Slashdot article led me to investigate
Plex, which is supposed to be the current front runner (if nothing else,
it's truly multi-platform).

Anyone got any experience of it, good or bad? Surfing around their
(useless) website wasn't at all enlightening and they don't even have an
official PPA for Ubuntu, which isn't a good sign - not a deal breaker of
course, I'm quite happy to install it from source if necessary, but only
if it would be worth it. And I'm not convinced at first glance that it is.

Seems to be very 'modern' in it's approach - unless I'm missing
something it can only be configured via "web clients" and through a
Plex-cloud style brokered user account, which is probably great for
hipsters who want to install a DMG on their Macbook, sign up for a cloud
account and then busily install the mobile app on all their Androids,
iDevices and other crap. I can see why the centralised account thing
could work well for people who care nothing for privacy and just want to
stream their home media library to their phones on the run or whatever,
but I'm having problems seeing why those of us who can configure
port-forwarding and ACLs, etc, would want any of that. During a brief
initial trial of the plexmediaserver component on my Ubuntu machine I
couldn't even figure out how to attach to the running server port to
control it (should I also have downloaded the Linux webclient program as
well? Who knows?)

Thought I'd throw this one out there to see if anyone can jump in with a
compelling reason or two why I should persevere and have another look
(it does at least initially seem really cool and I'd like to like it).
Online forums are just full of fanboi arguments about XBMC vs Myth vs
Win and are useless as a resource so the only arguments I'm interested
in now are from sensible, reasonable people who have already tried it
hosted on Linux.

Over to you list.

Regards