Re: [LUG] Satnavs

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 10:18:56 +0100, George Parker
<georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>My 10 year old plus Navman satnav has not been supported for a while
>now but it is adequate for the car only and still works well here and
>in France and Spain but it is showing it's age.  Also we have a
>caravan which we drag around France and Spain every year for 6 weeks
>so I looked at satnavs which take into account the size of vehicle and
>what you're towing...

I am a long time geohacker and prefer to make my own maps when I can so
my views are probably atypical :)

So far I have preferred Garmin GPS receivers (etrex and nuvi) as you
can roll your own IMG format maps for a lot of the models or get them
pre-made from several sites.

Routing using OpenStreetMap data is way better than it used to be,
although my experience is only in the UK and France so I don't know
about Spain. But it is still a long way from what the commercial
providers offer. UK road coverage in OSM is good but postcode search is
still poor although you can mix in a complete external postcode set
with OSM data if you want to and I think that is what some of the better
Android/IOS apps do. Marking UK roads as not-suitable for larger
vehicles is also not great in OSM, not sure about France or Spain.

If the large vehicle support is key then you will probably need to
shell out for a proper HGV supporting satnav. Reliable marking of road
widths, bridge heights, turn radius, etc. is I think still some years
away for opendata.

Kevin