Re: [LUG] OT: DHL Spam

On 01/04/14 22:37, Simon Avery wrote:
On 1 April 2014 10:33, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The first time I did that, in fairness to the caller, as soon as I mentioned TPS and being ex-directory he said he was terminating the call as he knew it was illegal to have called me.  He then gave me - on being asked - the name of the company his employers bought the database from.  It does seem sometimes it's a legitimate company working off a badly maintained database.  Now, depending on the call, I do ask how they got my number.

You give them too much credit. Regardless of the source of the database, the responsibility is for the calling company to screen the data with the TPS. If they don't, they are not reputable.
I didn't know that.  I was told (by at least one) that they had purchased the database from another company - who I also found on the web.  Is it not the supplier's responsibility to make sure the product they are selling is fit for purpose, i.e. is accurate in this case?  Why should the purchaser have to make sure the product they bought in good faith is accurate?  I take your point that as the company making the call they are liable, but if, as in my case, they immediately accept fault when challenged and end the call, doesn't that demonstrate some degree of acting responsibly?
(For the record, same BT number for 14 years, listed it on the TPS on day one, only had around 4 nuisance calls and these were all the automated dialler and automated speaker ones calling from offshore that is illegal in the UK anyway.)

I've had this number for errr... 19 years I think.  I didn't know about the TPS back then and to be honest spam callers have only been an issue in the last ten years, so that's 9 years when my number - which has always been ex-directory as well - wasn't protected by the TPS.  Surely being ex-directory is enough?

Julian